Death Toll from Southern Ethiopia Landslides Rises to 229

Death Toll from Southern Ethiopia Landslides Rises to 229

The death toll from two devastating landslides in southern Ethiopia has soared to 229 and is expected to climb further as rescue efforts continue, a government official reported on Tuesday.

The landslides, triggered by heavy rain, first struck the Gofa zone in the Southern Ethiopia regional state on Sunday night. A second landslide hit the area on Monday morning, engulfing those who had gathered to assist in rescue operations.

“I don’t know when it will stop. We are still recovering bodies,” Markos Melese, head of the National Disaster Response agency in Gofa Zone, told Reuters by phone. “We are still digging.”

Initial reports on Monday indicated that at least 50 people had died, including children and police officers. However, the death toll surged as more bodies were discovered, including those of rescuers who became trapped in the second landslide.

Footage shared by the local administration depicted harrowing scenes of residents using shovels and bare hands to dig out bodies.

“The death toll surged after the people who came to rescue also got trapped,” said Gofa district administrator Misikir Mitiku. “It is a very sad incident.”

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed expressed his deep sorrow over the tragic loss of life and announced that federal officials had been deployed to mitigate the disaster’s impact.

“We stand in strong solidarity with the people and Government of Ethiopia as rescue efforts continue to find the missing and assist the displaced,” African Union chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat wrote on the social media platform X.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, head of the World Health Organization and an Ethiopian national, conveyed his condolences to the affected families and announced that a WHO team had been dispatched to address immediate health needs.

“As the region continues to face the harsh impacts of climate change, we urge everyone to stay vigilant and follow safety protocols to protect lives and prevent further tragedies,” said Workneh Gebeyehu, executive secretary of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, a regional bloc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

US Centcom Commander, COAS discusses regional security & cooperation

US Centcom Commander, COAS discusses regional security & cooperation

In a recent diplomatic exchange, General Michael Erik Kurilla, the commander of US Central Command (Centcom), engaged…
Education minister announces dismantling of Punjab Text Book Board

Education minister announces dismantling of Punjab Text Book Board

In a significant move aimed at revamping Punjab’s educational framework, Education Minister Sikandar Hayat has…
Atif Aslam feels certain connection while singing Tajdar-e-Haram

Atif Aslam feels certain connection while singing Tajdar-e-Haram

In a heartfelt revelation, Pakistani music sensation Atif Aslam recently bared his soul, sharing the deep emotions he…
Turkish CGS discusses military cooperation with Pakistani counterpart

Turkish CGS discusses military cooperation with Pakistani counterpart

In a significant diplomatic engagement, Chief of the Turkish General Staff, General Metin Gürak, held discussions with…